Friday 22 August 2014

Baking Time! Gadget Reviews

When I get into the mood to bake, I get into the mood to bake! Last night I spent over 2.5 hours in the kitchen whipping up some baked goods, but it was so worth it.

Last night on my way home from work I decided to pick up a couple of ingredients and try out some of my baking gadgets that I haven't had a chance to use yet.

I decided to make chocolate sugar cookies and use my cookie stamp, and also vanilla cupcakes with melon icing and test out my cupcake corer and new icing kit.

I will post the recipes later if you like, but for now I'm just going to review my gadgets :)


COOKIE STAMPER - TYPO
First up, the cookie stamper from Typo. I could not resist this stamper - it was on sale and it says "S%#t Hot". I have such a sailor-mouth so I had to have it!

I made a basic chocolate sugar cookie dough, cut out circles using a glass, placed them onto silicone baking mats and then pressed the cookie stamp into them. I sprinkled a bit of icing sugar on top juts before they went in - here's how they looked:
Cookies!

Silly me forgot to take an "after" shot when they came out of the oven, but the icing sugar had melted nicely over them and they looked great! They weren't as sweet as I would have liked, but it was the first time I tried this recipe.

In terms of the stamper, it worked pretty well. It is a wooden stamp with a silicone stamping part (not sure of technical term!) that is removable for washing. I did find that sometimes a bit of cookie dough got stuck in a groove of the stamp, but it was easily removable with a wooden skewer. I love the contrast between the cuteness of the cookie, and the naughtiness of the swearing :) I give this stamper two thumbs up!


COOKIE CORER - MR PRICE HOME
Next up was the cookie corer. I bought this at Mr Price Home for R20. I love putting fillings in my cupcakes, and thought this corer would help greatly in making the holes.

Here is a picture of what it looks like:

It is pretty simple to use - just stick it in, twist it around, and then pop it out! Very effective and such a handy tool. This also gets two thumbs up!
Easy Peasy


ICING KIT - PICK N PAY
I bought this icing kit from Pick n Pay for a super cheap R40! It has a silicone body with a plastic screw lid, and a set of 6 plastic nozzles. What I immediately liked about it was the large opening to fill with icing.


I was a little bit concerned about the icing leaking through the lid as it didn't seem to close 100%, but it worked a dream! The only negative that I found was that the nozzles can be a bit tricky to get on, but once I got it right it stayed put. Unfortunately I messed up the icing so it was too runny, but you can get the idea of how it works still! I give this two thumbs up.



And that is that for my baking escapades, now I'm off to gym to work off the 20 cupcakes and 30 cookies that I will be eating over the weekend :)