Friday 16 January 2015

Friday Food Time



I am a huge fan of spending my weekends on the couch with a good movie, and nothing goes better with that than movie snacks!

After pinning hundreds of delicious-looking snacks on Pinterest, I decided to try a couple of ideas and see how they turn out. They were all sooooo good that I paused just long enough to wipe my chocolate coated hands before rushing to share them with you!

First I made popcorn with melted chocolate and Astros. After air-popping the popcorn, I set it aside in a big bowl. I then melted the chocolate using the "double boiler" method. Basically if you don't have a double-boiler, you boil water in a pot, then put a bowl over the pot, making sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the boiling water, chuck the chocolate in the bowl and stir until it melts! Make sure that the chocolate is cut up into small pieces so that it melts quickly. After the chocolate was melted, I poured it over the popcorn, tossed in the Astros and sprinkles, and mixed it all together. The result - an absolutely delicious, calorie-loaded alternative to boring old microwave popcorn!




Next we have something called Cowboy Bark. For those fellow South Africans who are scratching their heads and thinking "What the hell is that?" - cowboy bark is basically (from my understanding of it) a sheet of melted chocolate with bits pressed down into it that you break into smaller pieces. I chose dark chocolate as a base, and then a pretzel and biscuit mix and Oreos. I am obsessed with salty and sweet combos at the moment! I melted the chocolate as above, then spread it all over a baking tray lined with a silicone mat. While it was still gooey, I evenly sprinkled on the Oreo pieces and pretzel mix making sure it was all covered. The second batch I made I also added crushed salted chips and that was divine! I put it in the fridge to set, then took it out and broke it into smaller pieces. Be prepared to make a couple of batches of this stuff because it is highly addictive!



I saved the best for last - candied BACON! This was ridiculously easy to make - all you need is streaky bacon and brown sugar. Coat both sides of the bacon in sugar and stick under the grill in your oven, turning the bacon over to cook evenly. This was so delicious that I could have made about 5 kilos of it!


Is your mouth watering yet?! Forget about your New Years resolutions to eat healthy and indulge yourself this weekend! Trust me, your taste buds will thank you!