Thursday 22 January 2015

Catrice Ombre Top Coat Review

Hello beauties! Hope you are all having a great start to 2015 :) Me, I'm not having the best of luck but I think 2015 will be a year of learning and growing up for me (why can't it be a year of bacon and Hello Kitty?!)

I was very excited to try out Catrice's Ombre Top Coat as I love all gimmicky nail art things. In my experience, most are complete failures but I continue my quest for easy effective nail art and it lead me straight to this.

The idea of the Ombre Top Coat is that you build up the top coat on your different nails, giving the ombre look without having to buy 5 different nail polishes. So nail one has 0 coats, nail two has 1 coat, nail three has 2 coats and so forth.

I used my favourite chip-resistant Sinful Colours silk/satin effect polish in lilac as a base. I thought that perhaps the purple might be too dark as the bottle says to use a light colour, but when I held it up to the lid, it matched one of the little swatches perfectly. I did two coats of purple and then started on the top coat.

The colour of the top coat is reddish brown, and I did one coat on all my nails as I felt that if I left the first nail bare, it might not look right without having the reddish hue. The top coat is supposed to be quick drying, but I found it took a bit longer than expected to dry completely before I could do the next coat.

I followed up by doing 2 coats on the second nail, 3 coats on the third nail, 4 coats on the fourth nail and finally 5 coats on the fifth nail. I must admit that I did have some trouble in keeping count as to what nail to start with!

This is the result:


I found the coverage to be a bit streaky, and to be honest I really did not see too much of an ombre effect. The nail with 5 coats is darker than the one with only one, but it doesn't look too effective. I am quite disappointed in this as I have seen some great reviews, yet my results are rubbish in comparison.

Have you tried this top coat and been more successful? Maybe I'm doing something wrong!