Thursday 20 November 2014

Top 6 beauty products on a budget

I cannot resist a beauty steal, so when I see something that is budget-friendly, I have to get it to test it out! Here are my top beauty products that are under R150 - for all six!


Natur Vital Shampoo - R45 at Dischem


When I tried to ombre my hair at home and it turned out yellow, I panicked. I thought I would have to go to a salon to buy some very expensive purple shampoo to take the yellow out, so imagine my delight when I found this awesome shampoo at Dischem for just 45 bucks! Don't be fooled by the old folks on the bottle - this shampoo is not just for grey hair, is great to use on blonde hair to take the yellow hues out. It is the usual vibrant violet colour that makes you stop and think twice about putting it on your hair, and at just R45 a bottle, it is a steal!


Hair band - two for R5 at Vibes

For legal reasons, I don't feel comfortable in naming the product that this is a dupe for, but for those of you who don't know what this weird, telephone-cord looking hair band is, it is designed to tie your hair up without leaving that horrible line when you take it out. It is great for gym and hot days where you want to tie your hair up, but don't want it to look bad when you put it back down again. The original sells for about R80 for two. I found this at Vibes for R5 for two. Now I am not sure how many Vibes stores there are around South Africa, I just know that there is one in Northgate :)


Makeup sponge - R27 at Dischem


There are so many of these latex-free makeup sponges, and I really objected to spending more than R100 on something that I didn't know if it was worth it. I saw Dischem-brand ones and for the price, reckoned that it was worth a shot. I absolutely LOVE it! Being latex-free, it doesn't soak up the foundation like a normal sponge, and the shape means that you can ensure that you have complete coverage, even in the corners of your eyes and nose. It blends the foundation so well so you don't have a tell-tale line where your skin and foundation meet. Use it damp for a more natural coverage, or dry for fuller coverage. At R27 you can't go wrong!


Sinful Colours Nail polish - R30 from Clicks


I had never heard of this brand before, but they had such a great selection of colours I decided to give them a go. After 5 days of wear with no chips and no top coat I was more than impressed! I went and bought a couple other colours from the range. They had normal polish, and then this range that is silk and satin - it has more of a matt finish without a top coat, but if you don't like that then with a top coat it looks nice and shiny. I haven't tested the staying power of the normal polish, but for R30 it is worth a go!


Nail polish remover with pump - R20 from Vibes


Another product from Vibes! I had been wanting a nail polish remover with a pump action to prevent spills (I am very clumsy!) so when I saw this for R20 I had to have it! The nail polish inside is not that great, so I just emptied it and poured in my usual nail polish remover. Works a dream!


Henna lipstick - R10 from Dischem


I remember my gran having a couple of these when I was younger. They come in all different colours (green, blue, yellow, red, purple, pink) and I used to be amazed at how you would put on a green lipstick, yet the colour that appeared was pink! While doing my rounds I saw this and had to buy it for old time's sake :) I must say that I am so impressed with this lipstick! Not only is the colour a lovely dark pink shade, but the lipstick is so moisturising (it feels more like a lip balm) and because it stains your lips, the colour doesn't budge. I have seen these at other shops as well (eg Beauty Value) and they are always very affordable. This is an absolute must-have for me now!


Can you believe it, less than R150 for all these great products?! Do you have any steals that you can't live without? I would love to hear what else is out there!

Tomorrow I am going for a full day pamper session at Mangwanani spa so I will be blogging about that next week. So much of excite!