Thursday 6 November 2014

Halloween Wrap-up and Vaseline Eyelash Challenge Week 3

Woah, where are the brakes on this thing?! Have 2 weeks gone past without a single post? Balancing work, personal life and blogging is hard work!

I guess we missed Week 2's update on the Vaseline Challenge, but with Halloween on Friday last week and having to prepare two parties for that, I barely had enough time to breathe let alone blog. You didn't really miss much with week 2 - lashes pretty much looked the same as they did before, and as they do now. I am starting to feel a bit despondent, but I did promise to do it for 4 weeks so will persevere!

Here is a side-by-side up to now:

I'm not really seeing much of a difference, but I think that moisturising my lashes is a good thing so will probably carry on with it after the challenge, but not every day.

Now, back to HALLOWEEN! Traditionally this has not been a holiday/event that was properly celebrated in South Africa, but I have always loved it and insist on throwing a party every year. I love how now the shops are stocking more and more items - makes it so much easier to decorate now.

This year my Halloween party was American Horror Story themed. We have a monthly themed dinner club with two other couples, so to keep things smaller (and easier on the budget!) I decided to have a dinner party with just a few of us instead of a big thing like I did last year. We chose American Horror Story as a theme, not really based off the TV series (even though I am obsessed with it and Twisty is my homeboy) but rather so that we could serve more "traditional" American foods.

I used my party contact lenses - see this post of mine for more details - and dressed up as a skeleton/zombie/cursed bride thingie. I don't really have a label for what I wore except that it was freaky as hell. I couldn't look in the mirror without creeping myself out!


Those contacts look awesome, huh? The only difficult thing with them is that the hole for the pupil is small, and my pupils are normally quite big, especially at night with the low lighting, so my peripheral vision was not that great. I could see a white haze around everything from the contacts, but I got used to it, and the effect was worth it :)

The makeup was ridiculously easy. I didn't have time for complicated makeup because I was busy with decorating and cooking, and this look took about 10 minutes, if that. I used some white face cream from a party shop all over my face and set it with baby powder. Next I put black eyeshadow all over my eyelid and under my eye, and also used the black eyeshadow under my cheek bones. Then I used black eyeliner to draw the stitches on my mouth and the dots above my eyebrows. Simple yet effective! For my outifit I wore black netting as a veil, a black fascinator hat thingie, a black and white wig (not pictured), a black dress with a black net skirt under, black stockings with ladders and a bone necklace.

I did a table of snacks and punch inside, and then we served dinner outside. I completely forgot to take photos of our dinner, but managed to snap a few shots of the snack table before the guests arrived!


I served:

  • marshmallow mice in a plastic skull
  • "bloodied scabs" - tomato Fritos and Big Corn Bites
  • "swamp water punch" - powdered ice tea mix served in a bucket
  • syringes with vodka to add to the punch served on a platter with some severed fingers
Then I also added a sign that I put in the bathroom - I found this cute little urinal stand (no clue what it was originally for!) at a charity shop and put it on top of the cistern with the sign.

The best decor prop for me, although I don't have a good photo of it, was this Grim Reaper on a stand that's face lights up and makes a creepy moaning noise with disturbing music. Even without the lights and music this guy was scary. He stands taller than me and I had put him in the passage next to the bathroom. I set him up early in the afternoon and he must have spooked me about 30 times while I was setting everything up. Every time I walked past the passage he would catch my eye and I would look up and see him and get a fright, even though I knew he was there! Eventually I stuck him in the bathroom, but then he still scared me each time I walked down the passage when I caught a glimpse of him there! Needless to say, as soon as everyone left he was the first thing to be taken down and put away! I tried to take a photo of him with the face lit up, but it didn't come out too great:



So that is that for my Halloween, how was yours? Did you do anything exciting or was it just another Friday for you? I loved it so much I think I just might start planning next year's soon...

Sorry for not doing posts lately - I promise, come hell or high water, that there will be another post tomorrow!

Until then...