Wednesday 18 February 2015

L.A. Colours 3D Blush Contour Review

Contouring has been around for years, but only became "mainstream" as part of a regular makeup routine last year, with many people posting their contouring tutorials online for those of us who are clueless about the whole process!

Admittedly, contouring has seemed quite intimidating to me. I see the photos of tutorials a la Kim Kardashian and cannot understand how they properly blend everything to end up looking "normal" afterwards.
How do you go from orange and white to the final product?!?!
Nevertheless I have tried contouring with different products, but never found something that I felt worked the way I wanted. It was either too severe, or not noticeable enough. Then I found this gem at my local Dischem!


This is a great little set with a contouring colour, a blush and a highlighter. The back of the case shows you how to use the different colours. It doesn't come with a brush, but luckily I had a contouring brush that works well with it. There were multiple different shades to choose from, and I think there should be one to suit most people's skin tones. I am quite pale so I went for the lightest set called Lovely. Each set is only R40 so it is very easy on the pocket. You can check out all the different sets they have here.

What I like best is that it is a powder, and powders are much more forgiving when contouring than a liquid. It is also buildable, so you can start with a little, and then add should you wish.

I have been using this every day since I bought it, and I think that I am getting much better at my contouring. The effect isn't dramatic, but I don't want to look like a drag queen. I am sure that if I wanted a more dramatic look, I could just add more.

The lasting power is pretty good as well - here are comparison shots from the morning and late afternoon on a sweltering day during the heat wave:

As you can see, my skin is a bit more shiny, but my cheeks still look pretty good! This is with no touch ups (hence the lovely oily look!)

I am pretty impressed with this product - I have never used anything from L.A. Colours before so did not know what to expect, but usually cheaper products have a reputation for not working as well as more expensive ones. This might not be as pigmented as a more high end brand, but it does exactly what I want, and I really love using it. Bonus is that L.A. Colours is cruelty-free which is very important for me!

What products do you guys like to use for contouring?