Friday 27 February 2015

Mind F&%k Friday - the dress that broke the internet

My morning routine consists of waking up, checking all my social media sites, and then finally jumping out of bed at the last possible second for me to have a chance in hell at being ready to leave for work on time!
This morning while on Facebook, a friend had posted an article from Buzzfeed, and asked us what colour we thought a particular dress was. Intrigued, I clicked the link and started reading. I looked at the "obviously" white and gold dress, then looked at the comments below. Truly believing that others' claims that the dress was black and blue were a joke, I scrolled back up to have another look at the dress, and to by complete disbelief, it briefly looked black and blue, then turned to white and gold again!
It seems that after Tumblr user swiked uploaded the image of the dress, the internet has been divided as to what colour the dress is. After some frantic research (I only had about 5 minutes before I seriously needed to get out of bed) I managed to find out that the dress in question was indeed blue and black. This article confirms that the dress is in fact the very same dress as the one below:
Now this dress is clearly blue and black to me, so howcome the first image looks white and gold?! Is it the fact that I love the colour combo (hence my blog background), or have I suddenly been struck down with colour-blindness? It seems that the answer is neither of the above - from what I could deduce from this article, it all has to do with the brain's perception of the lighting in the photo. Those who see white and gold perceive the lighting on the dress to be poor, and those who see black and blue are taking it that the lighting on the dress is good.

Even though the truth about the dress has come out, I am not alone - according to the poll on Buzzfeed, a whopping 72% of people see it as white and gold (percentage correct at time of publishing!).

Maybe Kim Kardashian should have taken a photo of herself wearing an optical illusion - her nudie photos didn't even make a slight dent in the internet compared to this innocent little dress!
post signature