Wednesday 22 October 2014

Halloween Blog 1 - Colour Contacts

If you have been reading my blog, you will know that I love Halloween. It is my second favourite holiday after Christmas, and even though traditionally South Africa doesn't really celebrate Halloween, I have always loved it!

Every year I like to dress up scary. Like really scary. Like I want to make people terrified to even be near me in case I eat them alive. But in the past, no matter how well I did my special effect makeup, there was always something missing. Until now!

I have been looking online for some party coloured contact lenses, but couldn't find a place that would let me buy directly from them without going to an optometrist, which seemed costly and like a waste of time to me. The while at an expo recently, I saw a stand for coloured contact and made a beeline for it. Not only are they really reasonable, but they sell direct to the public and have a great range of colours! They have the scary, creepy ones that are great for costume parties, and then they have some more "normal" colours that are good for every day wear.

The company is called Eye VooDoo and they are based in Boksburg. Each pair costs R150 and last for a year! You can either collect from them directly, or pay a courier fee to have them delivered to you. My mom and I ordered two pairs each and were really happy with the prompt service we got. Each contact comes in its own sealed container and the pair come with a clear contact lens case to keep them in. Here are the company's brochures with the contact details:



I have never worn contacts before, so putting them in was extremely difficult for me the first time and it took just under an hour before I finally had both in! Now that I have had about 2 weeks practice I take a few minutes!

If you have never worn contacts before, here are a few tips that I found helpful:

  • Before you get the contacts, make sure that you have a bottle or two of contact solution, as well as eye drops that are compatible with contacts
  • Wash your hands thoroughly and dry them on a lint-free towel every time before handling the contacts as you do not want to get any dirt or fibres in your eye
  • Always start with either your left or right eye so that you do not get the contacts switched around. In the interests of hygiene, your left contact must always go into your left eye and vice versa. I prefer to start with my left eye as that is easier for me to get in for some reason! Always starting with the same eye reduces the chances of spreading an eye infection if you get one :)
  • Watch a couple of videos on YouTube on how to insert and remove contact lenses. My favourite video for inserting them is this one. For inserting, the method that I like best was to look towards my nose while holding the contact up to my eye so that I couldn't see my finger about to touch my eyeball! And the easiest way to remove the contact lenses I found here - you simply squeeze it and it just pops out! I found this video after many unsuccesful attempts at using the more traditional way of trying to grab it with both fingers.
  • In the beginning you might start to panic if you can't get them in or out, so if this happens, just take a little break and try again later. Always make sure that you have plenty of time to put them in so that you don't have the extra pressure of a time crunch to add to the stress of sticking stuff in your eye!
  • Practice makes perfect, so if you are wanting to wear these for Halloween, make sure you order now so that you have enough time to practice putting them in and taking them out.
  • If anything feels wrong, or you have any pain and discomfort, visit a medical professional immediately! I am not qualified to give any medical advice, and you should seek professional medical advice if you have any concerns regarding contact lenses!
That being said, here is a pic of what I look like with my contact lenses on! These are the Angelic Violet ones. The other pair I have are a surprise for Halloween, so I won't be showing those just yet :)



What do you think? Have you tried wearing crazy contact lenses? I would love to hear from you :)