Friday 10 October 2014

Nude Lipstick - NYX vs L.A. Girl

Today I pit NYX against L.A. Girl for the title of "Best Nude Lipstick" (as voted for by me!).

For a while I have been somewhat obsessed with finding the perfect shade of matt nude-pink lipstick, which has been  extremely difficult as most light pink shades are shimmery.

Finally I found NYX Strawberry Milk at Clicks in Clearwater Mall, however they only had a tester, so I raced to the Clicks in Nortgate who thankfully had stock. Then while on one of my many scavenges at Dischem, I came across the L.A. Girl Secret Admirer and snatched that up to see how it compares to NYX.



Here is a swatch on my arm of the two side by side:

But of course lipstick on one's arm isn't really a good judge of colour as one does not generally wear lipstick there on a day to day basis, so here they are on my lips:

And a full face comparison (for some reason the lighting changed so they look quite different!):

The NYX retails for around R90, and the L.A. Girl for R40, so there is a big difference in pricing between the two, but to be honest there isn't too much difference in quality. With both of them I need to use a lip pencil to blend the colour in as it shows all imperfections and needs to be blended. The L.A. Girl does however have a sort of sweet fragrance to it which reminds me of cheaper lipsticks, and the colour is quite bright and in-your-face, although you can't really see that from the photos. The photo of the swatches on my arm shows the true colour better than the photos of it on my lips. The NYX is more subtle and I do prefer it as an all-rounder everyday type lipstick.

I found the L.A. Girl to be more pigmented, but the colour is quite bright and might not suit everyone. I am still in two minds about whether or not it suits me to be honest!

Neither of them are very moisturising, and you do need to make sure that your lips are exfoliated and moisturised before applying as these lighter colours show any flaky skin and imperfections.

In a nutshell I do prefer the NYX over the L.A. Girl, but if you are on a budget then give the L.A. Girl a go!

Have a great weekend y'all!