Monday 6 October 2014

MANICure Monday 6 October 2014

Time to show off my pretty, polished nails again!

This time I decided to go for the breast cancer awareness theme seeming as though it is October. This is a cause very close to my heart as both my mom and gran are breast cancer survivors.

Early detection is critical in beating this, so regular self-examinations are essential. Don't think that just because you are young that you don't need to check - there are plenty of women in their early 20's who have been diagnosed. It is no longer an "old lady" illness, with many men having breast cancer as well!

Self exams should be done monthly from the age of 20, especially if there is a history of breast cancer in your family. Here is a helpful diagram from CANSA to assist you in conducting a self exam:


In addition to monthly breast self-examinations, you can also go for a scan at a radiologist once a year if you are concerned. Due to my family history, I do this every year just to be safe.

Breast cancer never used to be an issue in my family until 3 years ago when my mom was diagnosed. It was a huge shock to all of us and suddenly made this issue "real" for all of us. A year later my gran was diagnosed. Before this we had no history of it in our family, and it was something that happened to "other people".

Breast cancer is not a death sentence, and there is a lot of support for those affected. The main thing is to perform frequent exams and visit the doctor the second you feel anything suspicious. When caught early, it is treatable.

Now after that long lecture, I can show you my nails :) I used Essence in black is back and Top Lady in a hot pink hue. The breast cancer ribbon is my very first attempt at drawing on my nail, and I don't think it turned out too badly, although I definitely think some practice is in order!


Hope you like it, and don't forget to do your monthly self-examinations!